Thursday, March 10, 2005

My first visit to Rome Day 1 Part 1

Colosseum as seen from the Domus Aurea
Photograph by Mary Harrsch


I arrived in Rome today and my friend Pat Hunter and I have already walked our legs off! Although I had flown for almost 20 hours, I was too excited to rest so we headed out for some site seeing right away. Of course I wanted to see the Colosseum first. There is a park across the street from the Colosseum where the remains of the Domus Aurea (Nero's Golden House) is located. We were told the next presentation would not be held for another hour and forty minutes so we strolled through the park over to the Colosseum.

"The Colosseum or Flavian Amphitheater was begun by Vespasian, inaugurated by Titus in 80 A.D. and completed by Domitian. Located on marshy land between the Esquiline and Caelian Hills, it was the first permanent amphitheater to be built in Rome." - Great Buildings Online

I liked taking this photo of the Colosseum because you don't see the traffic in front of it from this viewpoint. I also wanted to capture images of the emperor's box and the gladiators' gate.

The price of admission includes a multimedia show projected on hanging panels of fabric inside the Colosseum's passageways. I wish I could have seen a battle reenactment.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: