Thursday, March 10, 2005

My first visit to Rome Day 1 Part 8

Gaius Julius Caesar 1
Gaius Julius Caesar 1, originally uploaded by mharrsch.
We continued down the street and Pat photographed me with the statue of Julius Caesar. My reawakened interest in Rome is a direct result of reading Colleen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series of novels. Her literary portrait of Julius Caesar stirred my admiration and kindled my desire to learn all that I could about this fascinating culture that has had such a significant influence on my own.

I also photographed statues of the emperors Nerva and Augustus. We were about ready to drop so we caught the Metro at the Colosseum back to Manzoni station then walked from there back to the hotel with one side trip to a wonderful little sandwich shop where we grabbed a couple of delicious panini sandwiches for supper (we had shot our wad for dinner at the cafe near the Colosseum but it was certainly worth it!)

No comments: